The default is to search in OULA materials, i.e. against all materials in the local index. You can also limit your search to a particular material type only by choosing it from the drop-down menu:
- Books in Oulu University Library collections. For dissertations select ‘Doctoral’ in the ‘Format’ drop-down menu.
- Journals in Oulu University Library collections
- Theses - University of Oulu theses, both printed and e-theses in the Jultika repository. Dissertations completed at other universities. Possible other theses in Oulu University Library collections.
- Databases - Discipline-specific and multi-discipline reference, journal, and other databases whose own user interfaces enable the most diverse and thorough searches.
Advanced search searches for the same materials as Basic search, i.e. materials in the local index. You can narrow your search in the drop-down menu. Combine search fields with Boolean operators by search groups.
- Title: book, journal, or other title: "nature"
- Author: person or corporate author; "virtanen matti"; "university of michigan"
- Subject: descriptive or keyword, subject area; "hermeneutics"; "network analysis"
- Classmark: document shelf location at the library; P Ls Psyk
- ISBN/ISSN: ISBN 951-26-3705-7 with or without hyphen; ISSN with hyphen 0028-9604
- Publisher: publisher name; springer
- Series: series title or words it contains; biological environmental
- Year of publication: 2000; you can also limit the year on the timeline or filtering the results
- Table of contents: words contained in the table of contents: random forest*
If you like, you can select year, language, and document type in other drop-down menus on the search screen. Narrow your search results with Narrow search filters and rearrange them with Sort drop-down menu.
International e-resources search
An international e-resources search searches against a central index of electronic materials. The index contains a mass of databases from several different information providers, covering for example:
- Academic journals
- Reference databases
This search type is suitable e.g. for article searches when you don't need to make an exact search on your subject, but just need a few articles, or want to find out how much has been written on the subject in general.
The international e-resources search does not cover all the databases available in Oulu University Library. The most important databases that are excluded:
- the multi-disciplinary Web of Science database
- the chemical databases SciFinder (Chemical Abstracts) and Reaxys
Article references contained in the databases missing from the central index are usually available in other databases that are included in the search. To access the user interfaces of the databases missing from the index, use Basic search.
It is recommended that systematic, precise, discipline-specific information searches are performed using the databases’ own search functions. Note that the international e-resources search does not cover the resources in the local index.
The Search works in the same way as Basic search, except:
- Limiting the search by material type is not available.
- Use English as search language.
- Search results sets can be very large. We recommend that, to start with, you refine your search with the Narrow search filters in the side navigation pane. You can also rearrange the search results in different ways using the Sort menu.
The search results may contain article references and also references to other materials. Full texts of articles, books, and other documents are available on workstations within the University of Oulu network, provided that Oulu University Library has licences to the source materials.
Selecting and exporting references from the search results list to RefWorks is not possible. Open the reference in the source database (e.g. Elsevier, ProQuest, Wiley) and export it from there.
Advanced international e-resources search
- Is similar to Advanced search
- Use English as search language
- Search results sets can very large. We recommend that, to start with, you refine your search with the Narrow search filters in the side navigation pane. You can also rearrange the search results in different ways using the Sort menu.
To go back to local search, click the cottage icon or the OULA logo.